The information on this page explains how our appointment system works. For more information on how to make an appointment CLICK HERE
We are aware that one of the key challenges we have as a practice is telephone access and getting appointments when you need them.
One of the things we know causes frustration is that same day appointments go to those who get through on the phone and not those most in need and the system is blocked due to lack of appointments in advance.
Our appointment system is designed to allow you to plan your appointments better around your personal commitments with greater flexibility in appointments in advance but also ensure we meet your urgent medical requirements.
- There are different types of appointments available; book in advance (up to 4 weeks) and same day appointments.
- Same day appointment requests will all be triaged by a doctor and an appointment in appropriate time scale will be offered where same day is not required. This is not an opportunity for a full telephone consultation.
- Doctors will have telephone appointment slots at the end of morning surgery but will be at the Doctors request only.
Improving access to general practice: evening and weekend appointments now available
Patients who are registered at this practice can now book an appointment to see a GP or nurse on weekday evenings (6:00 PM – 10:00 PM) or at the weekends (on Saturday and Sunday 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM). For more information please visit www.primarycaresheffield.org.uk/patients
By March 2019 everyone in England will benefit from access to general practice appointments in the evenings and weekends at a time that is most convenient to them. This is part of a national drive to help improve access to general practice and get the best possible outcomes for patients. Further information is available at www.england.nhs.uk/gpaccess
There is going to be ongoing review to try and ensure we have the right number of slots for everyone, in the right timescale you require.
Telephone consultations are ideal for getting advice on simple problems, advice on non-urgent blood test or X-ray results, or other similar queries.
You can help us to help you by:
- Only ringing at 08:15 if you need a SAME DAY appointment, otherwise waiting until 10:00 to ring.
- Trying to consider if the problem you have had has been a longstanding one which is suitable to be booked ahead.
- Ensuring that if you cannot attend an appointment, or no longer require it, that you cancel it as far in advance as possible.
- Ensuring that you are available for the telephone consultation you have booked. We cannot keep trying to ring back for these appointments, likewise keeping the phone free in the morning if you need a same day appointment and are expecting a doctor to ring back
- Giving us your mobile number and updating it if you change, this helps us to contact you in a timely and efficient manner.